Thursday, February 23, 2012

Swimming Noodles in Iowa City.


Tonight kicked off the USA swimming senior state weekend in Iowa City, IA. Hannah got out of school at 11:30 am and drove up with her friend, Haley. I traveled solo, catching up with my mom on the phone from Newton to Iowa City. We covered two weeks of missed conversation and it was wonderful.  I arrived in time for Hannah to swim the 1000 freestyle. For those of you who don't know what that means, it's 40 laps in the pool. She did well, dropped 9 seconds and looked strong.

We left the meet at 8:30 pm and headed for Noodles & Company for a quick dinner. Hannah enjoyed buttered noodles and I experienced Japanese Pan Noodles, a spicy mix of caramelized udon noodles, tossed with broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, bean sprouts and black sesame. Deliciously fast dinner.

Andy is home with Elie and Katy, collecting the things we've forgotten. Reminds me...he needs to bring the camera... they will join us tomorrow night. I did remember to tell him to drop the fish off to our neighbors on his way out of town.

What random act of kindness did I accomplish today? I brought yummy homemade protein bars to my co-workers, emailed the recipe to them and offered a real taste of the virtual recipe. I also held open a door for a random someone with a 20 lb. bag of ice I was balancing on my shoulders at the local convenience store.

The act of kindness for the bars came from my friend Jill, who sent me the recipe so I could make a batch for the power weekend of swimming. Very easy.

Z3 Bars
1 cup honey
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup whey protein (I used vanilla flavored)
1 cup mini chocolate chips

Mix and press in small pan. Refrigerate. Cut in small squares of make small balls. Can add dried cranberries, cocoa covered almonds, flax seeds or flax, or other.

I added 3 Tbl. of flax. could easily add more.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment