Saturday, December 8, 2012

Mojo Missing?



We served up what is considered the National dish of the Philippines this week. It gets its name from the Spanish, Adobo...meaning marinading in vinegar and garlic. Evidently it has something to do with when the Spanish conquered the Philippines in the late 16th century. That's as far as my story goes.

I'm really losing my mojo this month. It's been quite blurry, I must say. Just keeping up with the daily household is enough to keep me crazy. Now top it off with a VERY busy work life (I know, not complaining about the thing that feeds us) and added holiday craze and you've got a slightly crazy old lady. We don't even have our cheap chocolate advent calendar yet and we're 8 days into the countdown!!!! I missed the 1st Sunday of Advent at church for crying out loud. Talk about Catholic guilt pouring out of me.

Ok, I'm done with the soap box. I'm the cup half full kind of girl, really. So, I'm thankful that I may have talked Elie and her friends into doing my holiday baking this year. How perfect for a bunch of 13 year olds who have taken "Foods" class at school to come in and whip a few things up. This idea was prompted by the cookie bake-off that occurred in our house last night. 4 girls, two recipes. Blindfolds. The cookie with the best chocolate won! You really CAN tell the difference in a chocolate chip.

We're heading to Iowa City today for a swim meet. Very excited for our road trip, all five of us. Alone. Spending the day together.  I'm half tempted to have everyone turn in their phones to me. But I know that won't happen. Andy won't abide by the rules since he's always dealing with truck drivers. Oh well, it's going to be a golden day. I never thought I would get to a place where spending a simple day with the girls seems like such a gift. It makes me pause. Life is so short. Pausing for the simple things is so much more rewarding than money could ever buy.  I'm going to enjoy my girlies and my guy today and tune out the bickering that may occur along the way. I didn't say life was perfect:)  Happy is.


Filipino Adobo Pork
Ingredients
3 -4 lbs pork (cut in 2-inch cubes) or 3 -4 lbs chicken (cut into serving pieces)
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
Fresh ginger (which I forgot!)
1 cup water
2 -3 bay leaves, crumbled
2 teaspoons peppercorns (whole)
4 garlic cloves, crushed 1 medium onion, chopped
3/4 teaspoon ground pepper 2 teaspoons salt (optional)


Directions

  1. Combine all of the ingredients in a slow cooker. (suggest tying the spices into a cheesecloth to so that you get the flavor but don't bite into the peppercorns while you eat the dish - a stainless tea ball works too. Do whichever please you).
  2. Allow meat to sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes. 
  3. Cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours until pork or chicken is done (time depends on your slow cooker). 
  4. Serve with rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment